How to Create Your Own Nameserver
When you sign up for a hosting account, your web hosting company will provide you with two nameservers. These nameservers will allow your new domain name to resolve to your current site.
What many people do not know is that they can easily create their own nameservers. With just a few easy steps, you can have your own custom nameserver, that can remain the same, even if you move your site at a later date.
There are several advantages of having your own nameserver. If you do not want people to know what hosting company you use, a custom nameserver will fit this bill nicely. Large companies appreciate having their own nameserver as it can make them appear even larger than they are.
You will need to have a couple of things in place in order to create your own nameserver.
1. You must have DNS software installed on your server. This means that normally you will need a dedicated or virtual private server to have a custom nameserver. However, your hosting company may allow you to do this with a shared hosting package. If you are not sure if this is offered with your current host, just check with them.
2. You must have access to your server’s root. Many shared hosting plans do not offer this option, but again, your host may be willing to work with you on this. If you have the ability to telnet on your hosting package, you will most likely have root access.
3. You must have at least two available IP addresses. These IP addresses will be used for your custom nameserver. If you have a shared IP address, you can purchase additional IP’s from your hosting company, or switch to a plan that allows you to have your own IP address.
4. You will need to have a domain to associate with your nameserver. This is usually the domain that you are currently using for your site, although you can purchase a special one for this purpose.
5. You will need to create a name for your custom nameserver, using your domain name. For example, dns1.yourname.com and dns2.yourname.com. The sub-domain, which is dns1 or dns2 in our example is what you will need to select. You can choose to use ns1 or ns2 as well.
6. You will need to add your new nameservers in your control panel. If you have a control panel that supports this, it is very simple to create your new nameservers. If you do not, your hosting company may need to configure this for you.
Whether you just want to have a custom nameserver, or you need one for your company, it is very simple to create one. Simply follow the guidelines above and you’ll be able to point your domain to your custom nameserver in no time at all.Related Posts:
Posted on 12/14/05 10:51 PM
Be the first to comment!